If you want to hit the water this year and try scuba diving then you are going to need to get your diving certification. PADI certification will teach you scuba theory along with how to dive safely. More importantly without it you won’t be able to dive. You can get scuba classes all over the world but if you plan to try diving on your vacation you might want to know how to get scuba certified beforehand so your trip isn’t ruined by not being able to dive.
Getting Your Diving Certification
How do you go about getting your diving certification? It can be a bit of a challenge, nothing you can’t handle. It is worth it and it buys you a great deal of freedom being a certified diver. Here are some of the steps to follow to get your certification.
- Get in touch with the resort you plan on going to find out if they offer scuba classes or they can refer you to someone local. Always check with the instructors beforehand and check into the facilities. Check reviews as well.
- Enroll ahead of time and pay for the diving certification courses. Always make sure that the instructor has been licensed both with local authorities and with PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors), NASDS (National Association of Scuba Diving Schools) and NAUI (National Association of Underwater Instructors)
- You will have to do lecture and text book studying, most of these can be found in a bookstore or your local library.
- You will start your training dives in a swimming pool. This lets you learn the equipment and practice in a safe environment. You can also learn what to do in an emergency.
- Your first open water dive will be supervised and it will be done in shallow water. This is another step in the training that allows for first hand experience in a fairly safe environment.
- Obtain your certification. This is done at the discretion of the diving instructor as to whether you pass the course or not.
- You will receive a license and a logbook. You are now able to buy or rent your own equipment and you can show the logbook to any charter service to demonstrate your experience.
Scuba diving is one of the most fun water sports activities and getting certified is well worth the time, money and effort that is required. Make no mistake it can be dangerous and that is why a diving certificate is necessary.